Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Boston in the Fall

Hello, hello! This will come as a complete surprise (because I haven't been around here lately to even mention it), but my hubs and I took a 6 day trip to Boston just over a week ago. It was beautiful! We absolutely loved it. We have this idea that we'd like to try and visit one major North American city each year. So far we've been to most of the Canadian cities, and now it's time to tour some in the US. Anyway, Boston was the pick this time around and it was simply terrific. We stayed in the Back Bay area which was perfect - close to parks, excellent dining, shopping, historic tours, Fenway Park, Symphony Hall, etc.

Picture time...

Our view - Boston Public Gardens








Symphony Hall





Here are a few things we did: 
  • We saw the city with the Old Town Trolley Tour (a hop-on, hop-off bus tour). I would highly recommend it. 
  • We threw "tea" in the ocean at the Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum
  • Took a harbour tour on a ship. 
  • Yo Yo Ma was playing with the Boston Symphony so we HAD to take that in -- SO good. 
  • Enjoyed long walks through the Boston Public Garden
  • Stayed here
  • Ate here, here and here (plus other places I can't remember). The food was delish. 
  • Visited Harvard and went to the Museum of Natural History there. It was very, very good. I was wishing the kids were with us for that part in particular. 
  • Shopping. There was tons of it, and everything from regular kinds of stores to high end boutiques. Also, a really terrific antique row in the Beacon Hill area. 

Fenway Park was pretty close to where we stayed (if baseball is your thing); we didn't get to a game. 

Simply walking around admiring the architecture was enjoyable. Both the old and new buildings were interesting. I especially liked the old brownstones. The fall colours were just starting to come out when we were there; I guess we should have gone a few weeks later to see them in all their glory. It was still gorgeous though and quite warm. The flip flops even came out the one day.

I don't know if we'll ever get back here, but I'm sure glad we went. Boston is beautiful, and it was great to get away for a few days. Thankful for me and him time.

-Sarah

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Boston is on my list of cities to visit, and I'd especially like to go in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are so beautiful :) Boston is a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!