Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Den + Library = Denbrary (A Dark & Moody Design Board)

If I ever get the chance to design & decorate a den/library/study, it will look something like this. I dream about a space like this for my husband, a place where he can have his books and instruments (there a few of those!) and hide away from it all. He would sit for hours reclined back on the sofa with a book (or ipad) and fill up his brain. Dark & Moody is how I like it.





Image Sources: Veranda; Architectural Digest; via pinterest; Elle Decor  


Some of my favourite things about these spaces are the built-ins customized around the sofa, the books over the doorway and the dark, smoky grey colour. I also love the idea of a desk or writing table in the window and a library ladder would be a wonderful touch too. Here's my take on this moody but cozy look. 



Sources:
Desk at Williams-Sonoma
Desk Lamp at Elte
Liam Sofa at Elte
Rug at Black Rooster Decor
Artwork by Meredith Pardue
Woodrow Sconces at GLP Designs
Parsons Chair at Ballard Designs
Pillows at Peridot
Side Table at Global Views


If you're going to customize built-ins around your sofa, a tuxedo style sofa with the square, straight arms is a perfect choice. The artwork ties it all together and works beautifully with the pillows. The rug (and the pillows) have a global feel to them that's cozy and helps to balance the more elegant, formal pieces.

I *heart* this look. How about you? 

-Sarah


1 comment:

  1. Great mood board. You could design my den anyday, if I...had a den. And those velvet sofas - yum.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!