Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Today We have a Birthday

Well, HE has a birthday. My husband joins me at 29 today, so Happy Birthday to him! He is celebrating by rubbing shoulders with a whole slew of sick people. (Now doesn't that sound like fun?! He somehow thinks so.)

James is an exceptional sort of person. He's very talented, smart, funny and totally likable. He's the kind of person you might be tempted to be jealous of but then you can't be because he's just so nice!

This is us a few years ago.



James is also MU-SI-CAL. He plays (and collects) a variety of instruments and get this... he wrote me two songs while we were dating. That means he also played and sang them to me. There aren't too many guys out there who will do that sort of thing. I've wanted to write him a song ever since, but I couldn't come up with anything. Finally something a little on the lighter side materialized. The idea for it came from a conversation I had with a group of ladies at the mom's group I was part of at the time. All of the ladies were complaining about how it was hunting season and their husbands would be away and they would essentially be single-momming it. And then it would be play offs and their husbands would be completely useless, glued to the t.v. every evening and weekend. I piped up and said that my husband didn't hunt and wasn't really into sports either. They were in disbelief of course and one of them said, "Man, you hit the jackpot!" We all laughed but that thought stuck with me. He is pretty fabulous.

So, here are the words to my song for him, my Mr. Jackpot. (I was going to do a video but I chickened out.)

I hit the jackpot when I found you.
I hit the jackpot. Yes, it’s true.
I got the big one when I said I do.
I hit the jackpot when I found you.
 
It’s huntin’ season but you stay home.
You’re stickin’ close so I’m not alone.
While many others have gone out to play.
You say you’re happy just to stay.
 
And now it’s playoffs; you know what that means.
All the guys are cheering for their favourite team.
But you won’t even give it half a look.
You’ve got your nose stuck in a book.

I hit the jackpot when I found you.
I hit the jackpot. Yes, it’s true.
I got the big one when I said I do.
I hit the jackpot when I found you.

(Insert awesome and jazzy keyboard solo.)
 
I love my jackpot. I love him so.
He aint like anybody else I know.
I think he’s handsome and I think he’s fine.
Yeah, I’m so happy that he’s mine.
 
I hit the jackpot when I found you.
I hit the jackpot. Yes, it’s true.
I got the big one when I said I do.
I hit the jackpot when I found you.
 
 
Hope you don't mind the rather personal post. Happy Birthday, James!
 
-Sarah
 


2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to James! Too bad "sick" doesn't take a day off so he could be home with you. Oh, and I still have your birthday present sitting here. Obviously we need to hang out more often!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, that is so nice. Happy birthday to James too. I think I hit the jackpot too. He just loves hangin' with me and I love hangin' with him. Aren't we blessed!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to comment!